Reply To: Child Support Amnesty in August


Answers to a couple frequently asked questions about child support:

How are child support orders issued?
If a child is born out of wedlock, either party can call the HCJFS Child Support Enforcement Agency and ask to establish paternity. Once that happens, a case worker can help get a child support order. Child support orders are also often issued with a divorce or dissolution.

How is the amount of support determined?
Court or administrative orders determine the legal requirement to pay support and how much that payment will be.
Cases involving children born out-of-wedlock, or cases involving parents who are married but separated, are handled through Juvenile Court.
Cases involving divorce are handled through the Court of Domestic Relations.

You can estimate child support payment amounts using the ODJFS Child Support Calculator

United Resource Connection is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.