Senior Home Repair and Utility Assistance through the Council on Aging

A Utility and Home Repair Assistance Program has been developed by the Hamilton County Commissioners to provide eligible older adults with assistance paying their Duke Energy or Greater Cincinnati Water Works utility bills, as well as assistance with home repairs or modifications that enable them to age in place.

Home Repairs and Safety Modifications

Seniors may apply to receive assistance with home repairs or safety upgrades that will help them continue to live independently at home. The applicant must own and reside in the home where the work will occur. Repairs and safety modifications commonly include safety upgrades including grab bars, railings and ramps, HVAC repair for heating and cooling, hot water heater repair, and stairlifts. All home repair and modification requests must first be evaluated by a contracted service provider before they can be approved. 

Applicants should prioritize the most critical repairs or safety modifications that will keep them safe and independent in their own homes. Due to financial constraints, this program is not able to provide roof repair and/or replacement, cosmetic repairs and or replacements, driveway or walkway repairs and or replacements, concrete work or repair, yard work, exterior or interior painting, appliance repair and or replacement, or major plumbing repairs, such as water main repair, septic tank repair, etc. .

Utility Assistance

Eligible individuals may apply for a one-time credit for either Duke Energy or Greater Cincinnati Water Works for each household that meets the eligibility criteria. Applicants may not apply for both.

More information about the Senior Home Repair and Utility Assistance program is available on the Council on Aging website.

Who is eligible?

This program is for Hamilton County residents age 60 and older who meet income requirements and who are not eligible for utility assistance through other available programs. Individuals are not eligible for this program if they have received the same assistance in a prior year. 

Utility assistance requires an older adult or other family member in the household currently paying the utility bill. For household repairs or modifications, the applicant must be the homeowner and reside in the home where the work will occur.

Household income must be at or below 300% of the federal poverty level in order to be eligible for the program.

How to apply

You may apply using the online application. Alternatively you may download a paper application. Paper applications may be sent via email or by fax to the Council on Aging. The fax number is (513) 538-0411.
Paper applications may also be sent regular mail to the Council on Aging, Attention ADRC – Utilities,
4601 Malsbary Road, Blue Ash, Ohio 45242. To have an application mailed to you, call (513) 743-9000 or send an email. Once the application is received they will contact you to further assess your eligibility for the program.

PDF Loading...

You can find more resources for seniors by selecting the “Seniors” category tab on our “Social Service Utilization Library” page.

Shared by: United Resource Connection